Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Ride Report



Here you see the 5 brave souls and me who attempted to ride to Mineral Wells State Park and back on New Year's eve. It was a tough day. On the way out we battled incessant headwinds, dropping temperatures, and a wet unpaved section that felt like riding through quicksand. We dealt with one broken frame and one tacoed wheel. Yet somehow, 5 and a half hours after we started, we managed to get to Mineral Wells State Park in good spirits. A Big Thanks to Brian and J.C. who had some amazing Buffalo Bratwurst ready for us upon our arrival. I think everyone agreed that they were the best midride lunch ever.

We turned around and headed back. Ron, Tony N, Adam, and Tony T went at a pretty good pace. I rode back a bit and kept Chris company as he limped along with his badly bent front wheel. Our pace was really dragging, though, and if we'd kept going we'd have been out there all day... and I had a New Year's Party to host in a few hours... so we called for a ride the rest of the way in. Chris and I did a little more than a Metric Century of Pain, though.

To the four of you who made it, kudos. I'm gonna finish it fixed next year (Chris has already said he plans to ride his 'cross bike). Actually, I may try it again this spring when I've got more miles in my legs. Thanks for coming with, hope you had as much fun as I did, despite the bumps along the way.


Chris' bike with the tacoed front wheel:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! You guys are just awesome!
Ken

:) said...

That is some kick ass ride! Way to go you guys..

Anonymous said...

I think that was the coldest I've been in a long time...

Great ride. Can't wait for the next one. This time it will be on a new front wheel!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it was good. We're taking Bernie's route out next year. It's suppose to be "flatter". I'll go for that spring ride.

Hasty! said...

Well, if you said it's flatter then I don't know... kidding!

Your route was great, just the wind was a killer! Some parts of the route were fantastic. I've been wanting to go out West more, just didn't know a good way to get there. I really liked the way you took us. In fact, I'd like to do it again. Maybe with gears this time...

Anonymous said...

Post ride.. plotted westbound route from (a park close by) PCB saved as blogged route 2 plan, returned via Vickery rather riverside path. Arrived 4:40

Sure hated drinkin' that whiskey alone, it sure did help ease stretching.. like George said “when I drink alone I prefer to be by myself“
But the frame ain't the same (yea, still want my spoke card)good news today. An '06 S-Works Tri Cross frame/fork/hedset & post to replace my ‘99 broke thru dropout above drive axle.

I enjoyed ridin' & look for next chance to getou'there!

Tony and Cami said...

It was good times, and yes I'm a comin for my spoke card.

Cheers Bernie it was fun!

Tony, with an N